Saturday, April 2, 2011

Day 31

Fruit/Veggie day.  Better, but still not quite back on track.  Another birthday celebration today, but not nearly as bad of a cheat for me - we went out for dinner at a Mexican restaurant at 4:30, so the food came in plenty of time to be consumed before 6pm.  I got the vegetarian fajitas with guacamole, and asked them to not put cheese on it (description says they top it with Muenster).  I completely ignored the chips, and gave away the sour cream and tortillas, leaving me with the mixed veggies, guacamole, and pico de gallo.  I had thought it would be onions and peppers and tomatoes, so the order was made thinking I'd only have 3 items to be consuming in various forms (avocado in the guacamole with tomatoes, pico de gallo is tomatoes).  Unfortunately, the mixed veggies also contained broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, carrots... just a little of each.  And of course there was some oil involved in cooking.  So, I had oil, and more than 3 items for the day.  Alas.  But still, not NEARLY so bad as last Saturday.

I started on the yogurt today.  It's a fairly time-consuming process, requiring a seven hour fermentation period, and then an overnight chill.  So I got it started, and it is currently sitting on a heating pad for the next seven hours, doing its magic.  When I wake up in the morning, it should be yogurt, and it will be placed into containers, put in the fridge, and chilled all day.  Tomorrow's quest is to find cardamom  at a price that is not exorbitant (I know, good luck, right?).  There was ground cardamom in the grocery store, but they wanted $12 for the 6oz jar and I said "No, thank you."  There's a number of Indian food stores nearby, so I will head to one of them and see what they've got - cardamom is a pretty standard spice in Indian cooking, so I would imagine they'd have it for cheaper.  I know, that's not standard economics, but it works in my head.

Veggie day tomorrow, and then... LASSI DAY!  I'm so looking forward to it!  Since I had to have some plain yogurt to pitch into the milk to make yogurt, and you can only find plain yogurt in the 32oz tubs, I have plenty left over as backup, in case the homemade yogurt fails miserably.  So one way or another, there will be lassis on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment