Friday, April 15, 2011

Day 44

Milk day.  Experimented with yogurt flavors today.  I picked up some single-serve instant decaf coffee packs yesterday.  One of them makes a perfect cappucino-flavor 1/2 cup of yogurt.  A heaping teaspoon of cocoa powder makes a good chocolate yogurt that is almost, but not quite, pudding-like.  2 teaspoons of honey is about the right amount of sweetening for 1/2 cup of yogurt and is required for all sweet applications of yogurt.  If you want a savory yogurt (cardamom, cinnamon, dill), 1 teaspoon will do.  1 teaspoon of vanilla added to the yogurt adds a nice flavor.  Adding 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt enhances everything.  I'm still trying to find the right combination to make it taste like cheesecake.  I know it's possible, because completely plain, unsweetened yogurt tastes like cream cheese.  By extension, finding the right combination of honey and vanilla should make it cheesecake-like.  I just ran out of yogurt allotment for the day to make it happen. 

Back up.  Dill?  Yes!  If you strain the yogurt and make it more like a greek yogurt, dill is awesome.  Dill is also awesome when folded into extremely strained yogurt (so much so that it becomes a softened cream cheese consistency).

I keep joking that I'm soon going to have a whole line of yogurt products to sell.  If I was ambitious enough to figure out packaging and stuff, perhaps that would happen.  But I'm not, so it's not.  I am more than happy to share these recipes though!

I tried to make a new onion soup today using the whey from my cream cheese, but it was just all wrong.  I ended up just dumping it.  Which makes me sad, because it was a decent amount of whey.  I'm hoping that I'll end up with enough at some point to attempt making ricotta.  It's one thing to have to start over when you consume it, it's quite another when you end up just wasting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment