Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day 35

Fruit/Veggie day.  35 days already, wow.  So how do I feel?  I feel great.  My hair doesn't shed as much, and it's much less oily in the mornings than it used to be.  It's also grown about an inch and a half in the past month.  My face is clearer - still a couple of little pimples that pop up occasionally, but the ones on my chin have been gone and stayed gone for a couple of weeks, which is great.  And  the new ones don't stick around as long.  The psoriasis is meh.  Not as itchy, scaly and gross as it was, but it's still red - I'm sure the redness will just take some time to clear up.  These things don't just disappear overnight.  My fingernails are less brittle, and shinier - almost like I've got a clear coat of polish on.  The nasty morning breath isn't there anymore.  I find myself wearing my glasses less often - it seems my eyesight has gotten a little bit better - not enough that I'll go driving without them, but I don't need them for the TV to be watchable anymore.  I'll probably need to get a new prescription later this year.  I'm sleeping better at night - I don't toss and turn as much, and I fall asleep faster.  Getting up in the morning is still rough. 

I had the eggplant thing today.  It was quite good!  Needed some salt, and it could REALLY use cheese.  I wish I had made the sauce be just a tomato sauce - the carrots definitely made it too thick.  I steamed up some more carrots for a mid-day snack between the two servings of eggplant.  I forgot how much I enjoy plain steamed carrots with a little salt on them.  They're not as good as mom's buttered carrots, but they come close!

Baked Eggplant with Brown Tomato Sauce
2 baby eggplants (or 1 large eggplant) cut lengthwise into 1/4" slices
1/2 lb brown tomatoes, cut into chunks
3 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
carrot greens, coarsely chopped (buy the carrots with the greens attached)
handful cilantro, coarsely chopped
1 Tbsp dried basil
1 Tbsp salt
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 shallot, diced
2-3 green onions, chopped
water

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 2 cloves garlic plus a few tablespoons of water, until it is all bubbling and the garlic starts to become pasty. Add a half cup of water.  Spread out eggplant slices (only cook in single layer - you may have to do multiple batches) and cook until it starts to become tender and has absorbed the garlic-water.

Meanwhile in a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine garlic, shallot, and salt with a few tablespoons of water, and cook until shallot has become translucent.  Add the carrots, tomatoes, and dried basil.  When carrots have become softened, add the cilantro and greens, with about a half cup of water.  Allow to cook until greens are wilted.  Pour all into a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth.

In an 8x8 glass dish (or personal pan pizza plates, if you have them), alternate layers of sauce and eggplant (begin with sauce on the bottom) until you run out.  Top with green onions, then place into the oven and allow to cook for about a half hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment