Saturday, March 26, 2011

Day 23-24

Milk days.  I meant to post last night, really, but around 7pm I went to bed to just close my eyes for a bit, and the next thing I knew, it was 9am.  Yes, in the morning.  Oops.  I guess I needed sleep!  I think last weekend's travels and stuff just finally caught up to me, now that it's the end of the work week, and I just collapsed.  Sleep is good for you though, and I feel far more alert today than I have all week.  So yesterday, once again we went out for lunch (I know, we go a lot) as it was the boss' last day before his week-long vacation, and he felt like going out for lunch and then going home.  I had a glass of milk and a plateful of grilled onions.  The onions tasted like french fries.  They were awesome.  Clearly there was oil involved.  Tea lattes for the rest of the day, as well as a vow to not do anymore cheating, no matter how small, for the weekend. 

Today I attempted to recreate the french-fry-onions as best I could without using oil.  I thought, "it's fat, right.  Let's try soaking the onions in milk before grilling them!"  Alas, they burned to a tasteless crisp before reaching that nice caramelized state that is the awesomeness of grilled onions.  So then I thought maybe I'd cut them too thinly, so I tried a second onion, sliced much more thickly.  Turned the heat down in the grill, too, thinking it was possibly too high.  Still didn't turn out right and was more burned than anything.  Oil is apparently very important when it comes to properly grilling onions.  Next, determined, I tried just sauteing them, to see if I could get SOMETHING tasty out of it.  Burned the pan pretty well, but the onions came out ok.  Not the flavor I was hoping to get, and I oversalted them, unfortunately.  I was not about to cut up a fourth onion though, and I just quit.  Had a honey-vanilla steamer, followed later on by a large chai latte.  Clearly I was not meant to have onion today.

Back to veggies tomorrow.  I found pomegranate seeds!  And I picked up an artichoke, so that should be tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment